We are now accepting applications from experienced applicants for a full-time brewing position! Please see the requirements & guidelines for this job.
Production Job Description
The Brewer will be tasked with proficiently operating O’Connor Brewing Company’s 30bbl (4-Vessel) & 3.5bbl (Pub-Stack) brewing systems to produce flagship, seasonal and experimental beers. Reporting to the Head Brewer, the brewer follows standard operating procedures, works closely with all production departments, brings a great attitude to the team and ensures beers meet our quality standards. Above all, we are a tight knit group with one goal and a common purpose.
- Stage raw materials and prepare for brewing operations according to set recipes and schedules.
- Actively monitor and execute brewing processes on manual brewing systems while maintaining quality standards and specifications set by OBC.
- Execute daily cellar operations, including harvesting yeast, dry hopping, fruiting, etc.
- Assist with all brewing processes including but not limited to milling and spent grain removal.
- Follow all SOP’s and adhere to good brewing practices for all production operations (Brewing, Cellaring, Separation) in a safe and efficient manner.
- Perform quality checks on wort and beer including sensory analysis and measurement of gravity, pH, temperature, volumes of CO2, and dissolved O2 concentration.
- Maintain an organized, sanitary, and safe work area by cleaning up messes quickly after being created, keeping tools in appropriate places after use, and cleaning any item that may contact product immediately after use.
- Perform CIP of brewing vessels, process lines, FV’s, BT’s, centrifuges, and yeast brinks; including assembly and disassembly of process lines and loops. Mix and use chemicals safely.
- Perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting of process equipment.
- Perform light duty mechanical adjustments.
- Operate forklift and scissor lift.
- Record production data in brew and cellar logs neatly.
- Communicate effectively with Brew Team to hand-off responsibilities during shift change-overs as well as other departments as necessary to meet department objectives.
- Actively engage and collaborate with Brew Team for brand idea development, R&D, and auxiliary experimentation.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Diploma/Certificate in Brewing/Fermentation OR any combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive understanding of raw materials handling, brew-house operations, cellar management, and separation procedures.
- Understanding of CIP, sanitation, and sterilization techniques.
- Understanding of specific beer process terminologies and vernacular.
- The skill to quickly assess the status of operations and troubleshoot processes.
- Ability to work with manual brew-house operations is required.
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a strong attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to effectively communicate in a cross-departmental team environment.
- Ability to work unsupervised and make critical decisions.
- A demonstrated ability to accurately follow SOP’s.
- Strong work ethic and high level of professionalism.
- Ability to obtain a valid forklift license and operate a forklift
- Ability operate a scissor lift.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Safety is the top priority; however, members of the Production Team may be subject to:
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather); and risk of electrical shock.
- Hazards, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding or high places, exposure to heat, or exposure to chemicals
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee must be able to lift 55 pounds without assistance. Must employ proper body mechanics and ergonomics for lifting and maneuvering. Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to complete a variety of physical tasks that may include heavy lifting, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motion.
- Ability to clearly communicate with coworkers and management in verbal and written form.
- Must have sufficient visual acuity and hearing in order to safely operate machinery, safely operate motor vehicles, and to perform work in a neat and thorough manner.
- Work schedule requires the ability to rotate through three shifts (early, swing, and night shifts), including weekends and holidays.
- Selected candidate must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check, and driver’s license check.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for O’Connor Brewing Company.
- O’Connor Brewing Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Competitive compensation and benefits including medical, holiday, and vacation leave. Relocation available for the right person.
To perform this job successfully, the right candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, or ability required.
Qualified applicants, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org